This support article will demonstrate the differences and similarities between the pairing process for Bluetooth SPP (Serial Port Profile) and Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE). Although these two Bluetooth profiles are commonly used for a variety of applications, the focus of this guide is on the implications related to using Serialio's Bluetooth scanners in either SPP or BLE mode. Click here to learn more about the difference between Bluetooth LE and Bluetooth SPP.
The most important difference when switching between BLE and SPP is that you CANNOT pair through your device's Bluetooth Settings while using BLE mode. Below are basic instructions on how to pair your Bluetooth scanner is each mode.
How to Pair in SPP Mode
1. Take the appropriate actions to put your device in Bluetooth SPP mode.
2. Make your device discoverable and connectable.
3. Navigate to your host device's Bluetooth settings
4. Tap on your scanner's Bluetooth name to pair with it.
5. After pairing through your host device's Bluetooth settings, launch (or open) the application you wish to use with your scanner.
6. Navigate to the application's settings/connection manager.
7. Pair your scanner with the Bluetooth-SPP supporting application.
How to Pair in BLE Mode
1. Take the appropriate actions to put your device in Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) mode.
2. Make your device discoverable.
3. Launch the BLE-enabled application you wish to connect to.
4. Navigate to the connection/device manager for the BLE-enabled application.
5. Pair your scanner directly to the application (bypassing the host device's Bluetooth settings)